PHILADELPHIA – The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s mission is to help people. In doing so, FEMA Region 3 has marked an important milestone in its COVID-19 operation: funeral assistance funds provided to families of applicants have topped $208 million.
The funds have gone to more than 30,000 bereaved families in the District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Here are the totals as of March 25, 2022:
Region 3 staff members have gone the extra mile to spread the word about the funeral assistance program, working extensively with government colleagues at all levels, as well as private sector partners.
“Our hearts go out to the thousands of families in Region 3 that have suffered financial stress due to funeral expenses for their loved ones,” FEMA Region 3 Regional Administrator MaryAnn Tierney said. “We want to assure families that we’re here to help.” Reaching the $200 million mark is a tangible sign of our commitment to the grieving families in our region.”
Nationally, FEMA has provided over $2 billion to more than 300,000 people to assist with COVID-19-related funeral costs for deaths occurring on or after Jan. 20, 2020.
Sample expenses that qualify for reimbursement.
- Transportation to identify the deceased individual
- The transfer of remains
- A burial plot or cremation niche
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment cost
Information needed before contacting FEMA to apply:
- Name, social security number, date of birth, mailing address and contact phone numbers.
- Name, social security number and date of birth for each deceased individual.
- Location or address where the deceased individual passed away.
- Documentation and receipts for any assistance already received from other sources, including burial or funeral insurance, donations, voluntary agencies, other government programs or non-profit organizations.
- The name and information of any co-applicant(s) if anyone besides yourself incurred funeral expenses for the deceased individual(s)
How to apply for assistance:
COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday
9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time
Visit FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance page for more information about this program and how to apply.