Advertisement

Governor Morrisey Declares State of Emergency After New Round of Severe Storms

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Governor Patrick Morrisey has declared a State of Emergency for all 55 West Virginia counties following a new wave of severe storms that brought excessive rainfall, flash flooding, mudslides, damaging winds, and widespread water rescues between August 16 and August 18.

Morrisey said many communities are still recovering from last month’s storms and need flexibility to respond quickly. “This declaration gives our emergency responders, state agencies, and local officials the flexibility they need to move fast, get resources where they are needed, and help communities recover from the damage,” he said.

Slow‑moving storm systems dumped near‑record rainfall in several areas, triggering rapid flash flooding and mudslides that damaged homes, businesses, public infrastructure, and essential services. The declaration will remain in effect for 30 days, unless terminated earlier, and allows state and local agencies to coordinate personnel, equipment, and resources for emergency response and relief operations.

This declaration is separate from the statewide emergency issued for the July 21 storms. Morrisey extended that earlier order through September 19 in Barbour, Doddridge, Harrison, Lewis, Pendleton, Pleasants, Randolph, Ritchie, Tucker, Tyler, Upshur, and Wetzel counties, where recovery efforts remain ongoing.

The new order enables the West Virginia Emergency Management Division and partner agencies to continue assessing damage, responding to immediate needs, and supporting communities affected by the latest storms. “We have crews and emergency responders working across the state, and we are going to make sure they have what they need to do their jobs,” Morrisey said.

Advertisement